I am forever on the hunt for a delicious and healthy smoothie that’s easy to make and the kids will actually drink. For me, it’s something that I can throw at them first thing in the morning along with their breakfast and feel like I’ve done my job of providing them with a nutritious start to their day!
I found this smoothie on Catherine McCord’s Weelicious website. I’ve been such a huge fan of her’s after first meeting her when she did a cooking demo on the show I worked on.
I modified it a bit by adding in turmeric because I’ve been reading about how good it is for you as an antioxidant. I know the ginger may also sounds a little weird for a morning smoothie, but trust me somehow it all just works.
The fact there’s kale in there is an added bonus! The big tip for this smoothie is to soak the cashews and the dates prior to using them, it softens them up and makes it easier to blend. In the end you get a smoothie that tastes more like yummy ice cream than anything else. Major Monday Morning win!
NOT JUST ANOTHER KALE SMOOTHIEPrint Recipe
- 1/2 cup oat milk (or your milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted cashews, soaked in hot water to soften (discard water)
- 1 cup torn-up curly green kale leaves
- 2 ripe bananas, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted dates, soaked in hot water to soften (discard water)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups ice cubes (a little less if using frozen bananas)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
Put all of the ingredients into your blender and puree for about a minute, until smooth and creamy. tweak flavors to taste (you may like a bit more kale, sweetener, or ginger.)